In the darker month of February in the Inland Northwest, students can experience many of the following:
- “Fresh start” mentality sets in with new semester
- Wanderlust after Jan Term trips
- Challenges with romantic relationship back home may begin to develop
- Loneliness for relationships back home
- Feelings of cabin fever and depression with winter
- Potential increase in alcohol or other substance abuse
- Valentine’s Day may increase feelings of loneliness and isolation
Tip: ask your student about their experience of the darker winter at Whitworth and what they’re doing for self-care.
Adapted from Helping your First-Year College Student Succeed, Richard Mullendore and Cathie Hatch, National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition at the University of South Carolina, Columbia.