Your student, whether a first year student or returning, may experience some of these during the month of December.
- Anxiety over preparations for finals
- Continuing roommate challenges
- Excitement/anxiety over going home for holiday
- Financial strain due to lack of budget experience/holiday expenses
- Sadness about leaving new friendships and/or new romantic relationships for the holidays
- Adjusting to being back home and adapting to old family rules and routines
Tip: have an open conversation with your student early about their expectations and hopes for Christmas Break. Share yours as well!
Adapted from Helping your First-Year College Student Succeed, Richard Mullendore and Cathie Hatch, National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition at the University of South Carolina, Columbia.